Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wants Vs. Needs - A Lesson From My Coffee Maker

As I'm working on simplifying our lives, I've really started to think about what I want, verses what I need.

One of the best examples I can think of is my coffee machine.

Last year my folks bequeathed to Jeremie and I their drip-coffee maker; they had been using a french press, and simply didn't need it anymore.
This coffee machine was lovely, good quality and easily handled a good 12 cups of coffee at a time. I happily took it and set it up on my counter - it was then I started to notice a bit of a problem.

While I like coffee, I'm not a huge coffee drinker; Jeremie doesn't drink coffee at all.
This large coffee maker that I thought I needed, sat there taking up space, un-used for months!
It seemed a waste to only make two cups of coffee in the large coffee maker, I could have, but I never seemed to.
Finally I got tired of it taking up valuable counter space, so down it went into storage where it was forgotten. My folks, noticing I wasn't using the coffee maker said they'd take it back - so off it went to their house again.
It was my Mum that pointed out the little "one-cup-at-a-time" coffee maker that my sister had taken to college and asked if I wanted.
This cheap little coffee maker is one of my favourite appliances now, it makes a lovely cup of coffee in less than two minutes and suits my needs completely.
It really hit me how when I had the nice, fancy coffee maker it sat there and was less useful than the $12.00 tiny coffee maker I love and now use every morning.
I learned that just because something may be "better" doesn't make it more useful. Just because it's fancier or larger doesn't make it better for my home.
The smaller, simpler and in this case, cheaper item it worth so much more, proving to me that I just have to meet my needs in the simplest way possible to be the most content.
Peace,
- Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...