Saturday, December 28, 2019

I packed it up.

It was an odd feeling, my hand hovering over the "slide to power off" button on the screen of my smartphone.
I had gotten my new dumbphone up and running (an old iphone 5 with little to no memory and 0 social media apps.) I felt the pinch of anxiety, that I've gotten before the few times I had forgotten my phone at home, or dug frantically around in my purse terrified I had lost it somewhere.
And here it was again, that feeling of slight panic slowly creeping over me.
I shook my head and shut it down.
I've spent too much time on this stupid machine I thought as I picked it up with new resolve and placed it carefully back into an old cell-phone box.
I was determined that it would stay there. 
I took a few moments setting up the newly wiped iphone and downloaded only one app: "messenger" so that I could continue to text with my family.
Goodbye Instagram, goodbye Pinterest, goodbye Facebook, goodbye Reddit, goodbye games and other time wasters. 
My iphone looked very empty, but it had all the parts I did want: Maps, Messaging, Browser, Calendar.
It looked so small compared to my old phone - it was only slightly larger than the video baby monitor. 
I liked that - smaller phone, less intrusiveness. 
I had bought a cradle for the phone to charge on, so I could set it up on the kitchen counter and just pick it up when it rang, much like our old portable phones. 
All evening I fought the impulse to pick something up and 'check' it, remembering that I had nothing to check. 
I have my laptop, which I've looked at a few times, and my tablet, (which I'm honestly not even that fond of using, I find it laggy) so I've been finding myself feeling like I'm under-dressed; missing something from my everyday wear that makes me feel off

Still, I'm glad I did it, and I'm interested in seeing what my daily life will look like.
I'm a little worried about photos - not having an actual camera, though my iphone does have an older crappy one, I suppose I could start using.
Once I'm sure I have downloaded all the basic apps I need. (I may still put my banking on there) I will be having Jeremie change my appstore password so I can't, in a moment of weakness, download any more social media apps that may become addicting again. 

We'll see!
~ Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...